The first week in February SECONN will be hosting a two-night Connecticut Safe Boaters Course. This is a great opportunity to add another level to your diving adventure! The classroom portion will be FREE to current SECONN members and $10 to non-current members (normally $25). To complete your certification, you’ll also need to pay $50 directly to DEEP. The link will be provided as soon as you complete the classroom portion.
Who needs a Safe Boating Certificate?
To legally operate any boat with a motor, or a sailboat 19.5ft in length of longer,
– residents of Connecticut,
– persons owning real property in Connecticut, or
– persons with vessels registered in Connecticut
must have either
– a Safe Boating Certificate (SBC),
– a Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation (CPWO) or
– a valid vessel operator license* issued by the United States Coast Guard
– On inland bodies of water with a 10 horsepower limit and between on hour before sunrise and one hour after sunrise, a certificate is not required to operate a boat with an electric motor (rated at 106 lbs. of thrust or less). However, the vessel must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
– * If you have a valid vessel operator license issued by the United States Coast Guard you are not required to have a Safe Boating Certificate to operate a vessel other than a personal watercraft (i.e. trademarked brand names Jet Ski, Wave runner, Sea-Doo). You must have the current license on board the recreational vessel you are operating.https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2686&q=588616&deepNav_GID=1620